Here at Nature’s Design Taxidermy, your source for all things taxidermy in Cody, WY, our art has always been in style. But in recent years, taxidermy has been making a comeback in recent culture, popping up everywhere from kitschy Etsy pages to trendy bars and restaurants. While we already know the appeal of taxidermy, newcomers might be wondering what is behind this recent trendiness. With that in mind, here are six reasons why taxidermy in Cody, WY and across the country is now more popular than ever—and why it is a trend worth sticking with:
- It’s natural: Anyone who has been paying attention to design trends recently knows that natural materials and aesthetics are very popular right now. From rustic wooden furniture to indoor landscaping, designers are always looking for ways to bring the outside indoors. For obvious reasons, taxidermy of fish, lions, deer and other animals makes a sensible addition to that design philosophy.
- It’s unique: No two animals are exactly alike, which means that no two taxidermy pieces are exactly alike, either. Rather than investing in a decoration that looks exactly like the one your neighbor has, taxidermy allows you to have a one-of-a-kind piece that will only improve with age. In today’s world of technology-driven sameness, that is a rare find.
- It comes with a story: Going to IKEA and picking up a piece of mass-produced wall art does not exactly make for a great conversational anecdote. But the story of how you sat in a boat for five hours until finally feeling a tug on your line, and then needed the help of three friends to drag a huge bass out of the water, will likely have your guests sitting on the edge of their seats.
- It’s masculine: These days, classic masculine aesthetics are seeing a renaissance, from perfectly groomed beards to boutique whiskey glasses to handmade leather chairs. An authentic piece of taxidermy fits perfectly into that design scheme. You might want to consider this when designing your office or home bar.
- It’s a lifelong passion: Although taxidermy is currently a trend, it is far from a passing fad. In fact, many people hunt from their teens into retirement age, meaning that you can benefit from taxidermy for most of your adult life. When compared to other trendy hobbies, taxidermy is a clear heavyweight.
- It’s historical: Taxidermy stretches at least as far back as the time of the ancient Egyptians, as embalmed animals have been found alongside mummies in old tombs. Few artistic practices have that kind of staying power, and participating in it connects you to many generations that have come before you.
Whether you are just getting into taxidermy or have always considered it a passion, Nature’s Design Taxidermy in Cody, WY is happy to help you with each and every phase of the process. With over a decade of experience and strong ties to the local community, we are the natural choice for those who are passionate about taxidermy.